Tony Blumka is a fourth generation dealer in Medieval and Renaissance works of art and sculpture. His great-grandfather started the family business in Vienna in the nineteenth century and his father Leopold moved the gallery to New York in 1939. He was later succeeded by Tony’s mother, Ruth Blumka. In 1997 Tony opened Blumka Gallery at its current location in Manhattan. The diverse range of gallery inventory features Medieval and Renaissance works of art including enamels, bronzes, and stone and wood sculpture.
Over the years Blumka Gallery has been responsible, through both sales and donations, for the development and enrichment of public and private collections in America and Europe. The Blumkas played a prominent role in enhancing the Bondy, Brummer, Linsky, and Untermeyer collections. They have also expanded those of public institutions, such as The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Cleveland Museum of Art; The Detroit Institute of Arts; The Frick Collection; The J.Paul Getty Museum; The Metropolitan Museum of Art; The Bayerisches Nationalmuseum, Munich; The Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna; and the Louvre.
Blumka Gallery participates in world-class fairs such as Munich Highlights in the Autumn and The European Fine Art Fair in Maastricht every Spring. In addition, Blumka Gallery is partnered with Julius Böhler Kunsthandlung of Starnberg, Germany, a firm in its fifth generation of operation and which houses the Blumka's collection of ivories.
Tony Blumka is a Past President and Honorary Member of the Art and Antique Dealers League of America, and is on the Board of Directors of the National Antique and Art Dealers Association of America. He is a member in good standing of the Confédération Internationale des Négociants en Œvres d’Art, and was also knighted by the French Government Ordre des Arts et des Lettres.